General Jeffrey L. Harrigian
Director of the Joint Air Power Competence Centre
General Jeffrey L. Harrigian is Commander, Allied Air Command headquartered at Ramstein Air Base, Germany; and Director, Joint Air Power Competence Centre at Kalkar, Germany.
In his capacity as Commander, Allied Air Command, General Harrigian is responsible to the Supreme Allied Commander Europe for the Air and Missile Defence of NATO Alliance member nations during peacetime operations. His command ensures the preservation of Alliance territorial integrity from Northern Norway to Southern Italy and from the Azores to Eastern Turkey, including every European NATO nation. Furthermore, in the event of a joint NATO operation, he is the responsible commander of the Air Component.
General Harrigian is also Commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe and U.S. Air Forces Africa. In this capacity, he commands U.S. airpower across more than 19 million square miles. This area also includes 104 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, the Arctic, Atlantic and Indian Oceans, possesses more than a quarter of the world’s population, and generates more than a quarter of the world’s gross domestic product.
General Harrigian was commissioned in 1985 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has served in a variety of flying and staff assignments, including Deputy Director for Strategy, Plans and Assessments, U.S. Forces-Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and as Chief of the Joint Exercise Division at NATO’s Joint Warfare Center, Stavanger, Norway. He has commanded at the flight, squadron and wing levels. He has flown combat missions in support of operations Just Cause, Desert Storm and Inherent Resolve. He served as Deputy Director of Operations (J3) at U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. He also served as Director, F-35 Integration Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. Prior to his current assignment, General Harrigian was Deputy Commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
General Harrigian is a command pilot with over 4,100 hrs in the F-22, F-15C, A/OA-37 and MQ-1.
- July 1985 – August 1986, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
- April 1987 – January 1990, A/AO-37 Air Liaison Officer, forward air controller instructor pilot, and standardization and evaluation pilot, 24th Tactical Air Support Squadron, Howard AFB, Panama
- March 1990 – September 1990, Student, F-15 replacement training, 555th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
- September 1990 – June 1992, Squadron Life Support Officer, Chief, Squadron Scheduling, 8th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
- July 1992 – June 1995, Chief, Squadron Scheduling, 1st Tactical Fighter Squadron, and Academic Instructor, Multi-stage Improvement Program, 325th Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- July 1995 – December 1995, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.